Red Deer Central Lions speed skating club relies on adult volunteering and fundraising generated through several yearly events to make our Club work for our skaters. These fundraising activities are in place to help us keep our sport affordable for all families.
Title Sponsor: Red Deer Central Lions
The Red Deer Central Lions have been our Title Sponsor since 1953! They have supported us with monetary donations each year and with their time -- the Lions volunteer each year at our Meets as Timers. We cannot thank them enough for their continued support!
Service to the Club (Volunteering)
- Mat Set-Up: for every practice session, Group 1 adults are expected to be on the ice to help set-up the mats. Skaters cannot be on the ice until the mats are in position. The more adults who help with this, the faster the skaters are on the ice. Group 2 adults help take down the mats following the end of practices.
- For Group 1 Adults, please arrive early enough that your skater is ready to go and can be waiting in the box while adults are on the ice setting up mats. Mat set-up starts as soon as the ice re-surfacer is off the ice (between 5:35pm and 5:45pm).
- Speed Skating Meets: RDCLSSC hosts two meets per year (Short Track in November and Long Track in January). For both meets, all Club Skaters are encouraged to participate in the meets as learning meets (for new skaters) and competitive meets (for all skaters). At both meets, families volunteer time to run the meet and donate food items (sign-up sheets for both will be posted or emailed out to the Club).
- Club Roles, Jobs, and Tasks: A sign-up sheet will be available at Registration Night so that all Families can sign up for the various roles and jobs that help the Club run.
- Speed Skating, like many sports, relies on parents to be Officials. We encourage all adults to become Level 1 Officials and, for specific roles, Level 2.
Summary of Costs to Families for Volunteering and Fundraising
- Mat Set-up: $0.00
- Meet Shifts: $0.00
- Food for Meets: $10.00-$20.00 (depending on items)
- Silent Auction Item: $40.00
- Additional Fundraising: To be determined by the Fundraising Committee early in the season (in 2019, we did a Pub Night at Bo's as our major fundraiser)
- Casino Volunteering (2019-2020): $0.00
Required Fundraising Activities
- Casino Shifts: every 3 years, the Club is granted a casino and must cover all shifts. The funds generated (approximate $25,000) help pay for capital costs (such as ice) over the next three years until we have another casino. Adults in each skater’s family sign up for shifts (at least one shift per skater/family). In the past, additional adults (aunts, uncles, grandparents) have also worked shifts. The shifts are easy (really easy!) and fun.
- Next Casino: November 27 & 28, 2019. Information and volunteer shifts will be sent to Club Members early in the fall season.
- Silent Auction: We ask Club Members to contribute Silent Auction Items (minimum value: $40/family). Families are encouraged to seek out donations from local businesses and services so that there is no additional costs to families (a Club Donation Request Letter will be sent to all families). Families are not expected to bid on Silent Auction items unless they really want the item. Items are to be submitted in an attractive fashion suitable for an auction.
- Additional Fundraising: The club may sponsor additional fundraising activities. Additional Fundraising activities will be decided by the Fundraising Committee. All fundraising activities must be pre-approved by the Club Executive. In the past, fundraising has included bottle drives and pub nights.